Birmingham’s Arthur Lang recently released his first song, Jupiter. It features vocals from dark-pop producer Motherhood.
Arthur Lang is the alias of Birmingham’s Andrew Halford, who has collaborated with other artists, including Yannis from Foals, and is releasing the first of his solo output with “Jupiter.” With finger snaps and gentle synths, the song starts off with an almost tropical vibe, but those pulsating synths take on an otherworldy intensity quickly. With a sharp melody and clear structure, this isn’t necessarily the kind of song you’d think of describing as “spacey,” but as the title suggests, it will leave you feeling far from Earth.
French pop singer Laurent Voulzy has a new live album out, called Lys & Love Tour.
Despite a slim recorded output — roughly one LP per decade on average — Laurent Voulzy emerged as one of the most successful and acclaimed composers in contemporary French pop; often working in tandem with longtime collaborator Alain Souchon, his obsessive attention to studio detail was instrumental in shaping the sophisticated melodies and rich arrangements that are the signatures of his work. Born in Paris on December 18, 1945, Voulzy spent much of his childhood in Nogent-sur-Marne, as a child befriending fellow music devotee Christian Vander, later the frontman of the French prog rock group Magma. Voulzy formed his first band at 14, quickly abandoning the drums in favor of guitar.
Deluxe edition FTW.
After messing around in Ableton and going on a bit of a nostalgia trip, Active Child has used the instrumental from Until The End Of Time, the posthumous 2Pac song that samples Mr. Mister’s Broken Wings, to make a song about missing things.
Randomly came across an instrumental of one of favorite posthumous 2Pac releases recently. It instantly transported me back to my high school days when I would make mixes for my commute to and from school. As I sat and reminisced I figured i’d drop the instrumental into ableton and have a sing over it. That sing slowly transformed into a rough song of sorts that I thought I’d share with you guys today. Not exactly original music, but something to listen to none the less. Hope you enjoy much love Pat xx
Nostalgia is a sentiment that keeps a lot of us motivated.
I am a 45 yr old Luddite and proud of it.. yawn
Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward released a new four-song She & Him EP, called The Capitol Studios Session.
The four track digital-only EP was recorded over the summer at Hollywood’s Capitol Studios and features brand new versions of songs that originally featured on the duo’s fourth album, ‘Volume 3’, which was released earlier this year. Consequence of Sound reports that the new versions of ‘I Could’ve Been Your Girl’, ‘Shadow of Love’, ‘Snow Queen’ and ‘Turn to White’ are “intimate” and are “characteristic of the band’s live performances”.
She & Him may have reached a level of comfort and confidence in their sunny pop skin with their latest LP, Volume 3, but that doesn’t mean they’ve grown complacent.
Kanye West has revealed that he is already working on his next solo album and hopes to release it in Summer 2014.
The claim of a new album got a little more real when A Tribe Called Quest founder Q-Tip said in an interview that he was producing the album alongside Rick Rubin (who had a big role producing Yeezus). Q-Tip has worked with Kanye before, contributing a killer beat for “Chain Heavy,” one of the several G.O.O.D. Fridays (zip) track that were G.O.O.D. enough to be on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. According to Kanye, in Bruce Springsteen terms, Yeezus was his Nebraska, making his next album Born In The USA. Except hits. Now that he has his affairs in order, Kanye says his new album will sound more like “Bound 2″ and “Blood on the Leaves” than “Black Skinhead.”
The rapper’s recent video for Bound 2, featuring his fiancee Kim Kardashian, has been made into a spoof by actors James Franco and Seth Rogan, with the former perfoming the part of of West and the latter a topless Kardashian.
New concert tour in Greece with Eleftheria Arvanitaki and Alkistis Protopsalti. New (live) album on the way?
10 FACTS THAT YOU MAY LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT RECORD MAKERS
- Our first release was Air’s score for Sofia Coppola’s The Virgin Suicides, a project we A&Red entirely. Air left the label for good 6 years ago.
- The original version of Sebastien Tellier’s La Ritournelle features Tony Allen on drums, long before he was hired by Damon Albarn or Air or whoever. We asked him because he’s the best drummer alive and lives in Paris!
- Kavinsky’s Testarossa video was Jonas & Francois' first ever video. Since then they have worked for Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West and Justice. The very day we put the Kavinsky video online, MTV were urging us to give them a copy!
- Mr Oizo a.k.a Quentin Dupieux mixed Sebastien Tellier’s first album L’Incroyable Verite back in 2001, an album with absolutely no beat!
- Hypnolove’s first album features Bitch Lap Lap on vocals, who has become rather popular all around the world under another name: 5 letters, starts with an ‘F’.
- The 1976 score for John Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13 remained unreleased before we put it out in 2003. The numerous messages of love that we received from around the world would indicate we filled a gap.
- Arpanet released a prophetic album about smart phones and wireless internet back in 2000. It is called Wireless Internet.
- Sebastien Tellier’s Sexuality and Kavinsky’s Nightcall are the only releases produced by Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo outside of Daft Punk / Crydamoure.
- Sébastien Tellier inhaled helium on stage during his Eurovision performance. He sang like a duck for 20 seconds in front of over 100 million viewers!
- Turzi approached Record Makers for an internship in 2004. We preferred to sign him as an artist. Since then, he has released the new krautrock manifesto Made Under Authority, recorded songs with Primal Scream’s Bobby Gillespie and Brigitte Fontaine for his latest album B and performed a private gig in for Tangerine Dream’s Edgar Froese.